Some time has passed since the launch event last October and we would like to report on some developments.
Most importantly, the South West ROC conference is fast approaching and for any interested, it is important to book up ASAP to allow the ROC office to make all necessary arrangements. Please follow ROC SW and book your place!
We have had approaches from institutions and agencies that are seeking to offer partnerships with local churches which we feel are very strategic and are urgently developing these possibilities. Please see below :
- Plymouth College of Art and Design; seeking more community engagement, keen to help with Youth Groups, eager for people to visit their facilities.
- Fire, Police & Health services are developing a project called ‘Safe & Healthy Homes’ wishing the church to provide volunteers to visit homes of vulnerable people to offer support.
- Derriford Hospital have asked for Youth Leaders’ to help engage with young people for whom alcohol misuse meant they finished their evening in A&E – capturing what they call, a ‘Golden hour’ to hold meaningful discussions with the youths concerned.
- Probation Services have approached us seeking opportunities for Community Service (now known as Community Payback) opportunities, whereby work projects could be developed. Community payback could provide free labour and churches would have the chance to draw alongside people at a significant juncture in their lives.
- Community policing have sought links with churches, particularly in regard to Youth ministries. They recognise the good role models’ and wholesome activities we provide, which they would like to support and help resource.
- NHS Community Care are investigating the possibility of providing training to help Senior Citizen Luncheon clubs provide Memory Clinic sand Passive exercises; also to be a community liaison with Care Homes, providing Chaplaincy services that would help the homes meet their community engagement targets.
Other Areas around the South-west are in similar conversations; and a ROC SW Steering group meets to gather this information and provide encouragement and direction to Devon and Cornwall ROC contacts.
We are delighted that Churches are seeing the possibilities ROC provides for engaging with the community. If you have ideas of how you would like to be involved, please email them into either: