Upcoming prayer opportunities
Here are some dates for your diary concerning forthcoming prayer meetings that might be of interest to you:
PRAY UK – SATURDAY 22ND AUGUST (10.30AM – MIDDAY)
- Join online from 10.30am for coffee/chat, ready to start at 10.45am.
- CLICK HERE to join the meeting via Zoom. Alternatively, join the meeting via ‘www.zoom.us’.
- The meeting ID number is 812 0980 9488 and the password is ‘letspray‘.
- All are welcome to join us in praying for the nation’s younger generation.
Arise, cry out in the night,
as the watches of the night begin;
pour out your heart like water
in the presence of the Lord.
Lift up your hands to Him
for the lives of your children,
who faint from hunger
at every street corner. (Lamentations 2 v 19)
The younger generation have to stand up under unprecedented pressures in this day and age. For example, just recently I was asked to buy the book that my eldest daughter (and all her year group) will be studying at (primary) school in September. Upon reading the blurb and seeing the illustrations, alarm bells were ringing…
‘Marinka dreams of a normal life, where her house stays in one place long enough for her to make friends. But her house has chicken legs and moves on without warning. For Marinka’s grandmother is Baba Yaga, who guides spirits between this world and the next…’
So we’ve purchased the book in order to check it out. However, I thought it might also be helpful to see if any other parents had left online comments or reviews about the book. I came across a great website entitled ‘common sense media’, where both parents and kids can write reviews not only for books but also for films, tv, computer games, websites and apps.
The website really helps in researching things your child might watch/read to see whether it is appropriate for them to be watching or reading it. However, the website also makes you aware of how much inappropriate material our young people are being exposed to from such a young age!
So whilst there are unprecedented pressures on our young people, let’s pray for an unprecedented move of God amongst the young people in our nation, especially as they prepare to return to their educational establishments.
In short, we’ll take an hour or so to pray into matters concerning:
- Young people going to universities/colleges, especially for the first time;
- Schools restarting in September;
- Christian Unions / After-School Christian Clubs / Church groups;
- Wisdom and inspiration for Youth and Children’s leaders;
- Implementation of new ‘Relationships & Health Education’ in schools during 2020/21;
- Nurseries and caring for pre-school children;
- The current battle to protect unborn children;
- For families who are struggling due to the implications of Covid-19;
- In breakout rooms, there will be the opportunity to pray for our own children/grandchildren.
Watch & Pray Online (World Prayer Centre) – Monday 24th August (1pm – 2.30pm)
Register HERE for the ‘Watch + Pray’ prayer watch on Zoom to watch, worship and pray as God leads.
Helping Free the Captives – Plymouth Conference – Saturday 5th September (9.30am – 1pm)
A note from the organiser, Terry Higgins: ‘I am hoping you may feel able to pray for the conference, as detailed below (see schedule/more details at the end of this email). First there is a draft order; then some prayer points, mostly prepared by our prayer secretary, Trish Baxter, to whom I am very grateful. The last conference in March 2019 was hugely helped by the people who prayed. The hope is that I will send out further prayer requests in the coming month.’
Please contact Terry if you would like further information about this conference. (Let me know if you need a contact number/email address.)
Prayershift (World Prayer Centre) – Saturday 12th September (1pm – 2.30pm)
This pray watch is a gathering for those with a passion to pray for national and global issues. It happens one Saturday a month. Come and get a global and national perspective of what is happening around the world and hear the amazing stories of what God is doing around the world!
CLICK HERE to register for this Zoom meeting and join with others from across the UK in prayer in the ‘break-out’ rooms.
The Return – A Day of Prayer and Repentance – Saturday 26th September
You may like to pencil this date in your diary – more details to follow in due course about a prayer gathering in Plymouth on this date.
Later in the day, join with thousands of others online for this special day of prayer entitled ‘The Return’, live-streamed from Washington DC.
Coronavirus and the Persecuted Church
In the midst of this most inconsistent of moments with lockdowns lifting and then being lowered again, several things have been consistent for Christians facing persecution for their devotion to Jesus… CLICK HERE to read more.
How do we pray in such moments? Our brothers and sisters repeatedly adjure us not to pray that persecution would stop, but that they would remain strong in the midst of the storm. Therefore, though CV19 is a whirlwind overlaying the existing storms of persecution, let us pray for the strengthening of the church to stand strong in sharing Jesus, and in being the hands and feet of Jesus in their care for others, including their persecutors.
Praying for Ian Cole (Founder of the WPC)
‘We would so value your prayers for Ian at this time; after several x-rays, MRI Scan, it was found that he has a tumour in the bladder and also issues where a biopsy is needed on his prostate too. This has come as a total shock to us as Ian has not felt ill and during the lockdown…’ Read more HERE.
Helping Free the Captives – Plymouth Conference: 5th Sept @ 9.30am-1pm (More info)
9.30 Welcomes & worship, including possibly – 271, I give you all the honour, 181, God forgave my sin
9.50: Interview with Paul Cowley – Evangelism
10.10: Keynote song – ‘Bring them home’ (words adapted for conference) – Pam Elson.
10.15. Mentoring with Cathy Gerard
10.30. Question and Answer
10.40. Coffee Break
10.50. To God be the glory (with a way, if manageable of emphasising the lines ‘the vilest offender who truly believes that moment from Jesus a pardon receives’
10.55: Emma Heath – New vision re breakthrough in addiction help
11.15: ‘Letter Link’, ‘Angel Tree’ & ‘Sycamore Tree’: rejoicing in Prayerline
11.35: Police Related Work with Phil Skedgell.
11.50: Question and Answer
12.00: Dr Shona Minson – Children of prisoners.
12.20: Debbie Style – ‘Came to believe’ retreats
12.30: Question and Answer: 12.40: Worship & Prayer
Prayer requests (provided by Terry)
- Praise God that Paul Cowley has agreed to participate and David Cassidy is equipped to do the technology. Praise God for wonderful answers to prayers already. (i.e. re Shona!)
- Pray for Terry, David Cassidy and Tony (Terry and Gill’s son) who are co-operating together over the technology necessary and that they will be successful in all their arrangements.
- Pray for Vicky who is enabling the Facebook page
- Pray that we may find good networks to advertise to the right people so that a wide audience can join in.
- Pray that the speakers will be able work well with the information David Cassidy sends so that they can take part without trouble.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will stir hearts and minds to be interested to join in and invite many others
- Thank you for praying: your prayers are most valuable.